Tuesday 12 January 2010

Kanjibox and kanji look alikes

Favourite kanji app of the moment and kanji look alikes

One of my favourite iPhone apps of the moment is  Kanjibox .

This app ties in well with one of  my goals for the next few months, to learn the jlpt level 3 kanji (new level 4?).

 I really fight with kanji look alikes, and am trying all sorts of different ways to remember which kanji is which. With this app I have one little method, which, together with several others, might help me get there in the end.

Studying Kanjibox in Kanji mode one is presented with  4 kanjis and one meaning. Very often the kanji presented are look alikes . Quite often I get answer wrong and and an angry red box at the bottom of the screen blinks back at me.




If I know the meaning of the kanji presented but not the look alike, I press the look alike.  I am, ofcourse, wrong, but both the kanjis are presented at the bottom of the screen and I can take the screen shot.

I download the screenshot to my computer, edit the picture.  and am gradually building up a  list of look alikes.

I've named each look alike set with a short phrase from the definition presented so it helps me remember the two look alikes.

Because counterfeit


Blow song

Family trip

Learn the following

Change work

New parent

Responsible official

Stretch building

Take along luck

Testing inaccessible place

Weekday laundry






1 comment:

  1. That's a pretty smart way to do it! I'd never heard of Kanjibox before, I think I'll go check it out...
    Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete