Sunday 18 April 2010

SAKURA

I was really hoping to catch the cherry trees in bloom when I went to Japan. Luckily for me my trip coincided perfectly with Sakura season. The amazing thing with Japanese cherry trees is that they are everywhere, in parks and gardens, along river banks and train tracks,  infront of office buildings, almost anywhere you can  plant a tree.














Yoyogi park

On my first day in Japan I went to Yoyogi park (代々木公園) and got to see my first Japanese  Sakura, and the truly Japanese spring welcoming Hanami parties. Despite the cold the park was crowded, everyone eating and drinking and welcoming spring in this unique way. I didn't join in the festivities, but loved finally seeing what I'd only read and hear about, and seen in films. 





Meguro River

The same evening I went for a walk along the Meguro river, and saw again how Japan celebrates the Sakura, with lanterns lighting up the blossoms. 







Ueno Park

The crowds were out in Ueno Park, but it being a cold Monday morning the revellers had yet to arrive. Everyone young and old  stop to admire the flowers and take pictures.



Kyoto

Kyoto offered some really splendid Sakura viewing, the grey skies making them stand out even more clearly.



Kyoto - Philosophers walk

I had one of the lovliest walks ever along 哲学の道, Tetsugaku no Michi, a 2 kilometer walk along a canal lined with cherry trees. The trees were in full bloom, the sun kept trying to break through the clouds, a perfect place to sit on a bench and eat yet another おにぎり.




Kamakura

Another fantastic but much shorter walk was along a Sakura path in Kamakura. I love the way the Japanese seem to revere Sakura so much and have made little havens to walk along to view the Sakura.





Tokyo 

Imperial Palace Gardens, Eastern Garden was a splendid garden, despite the cold rain the day I was there. And of course filled with blossoming cherry trees




ありがとう日本andさようなら


No comments:

Post a Comment